Tuesday 27 August 2013

Sleep

Sleep is not something that comes easy, especially now as the disease spreads throughout other regions of my body. Due to hypersensitivity, I often cannot have even a sheet touching my leg, which rages between burning hot and freezing cold; constantly changing. Now that it has spread into my back and right arm & shoulder, I am finding it even harder to sleep. Thankfully, I sleep on facing down, so on my stomach, but this doesn't stop the pain.

Pain and heat radiate throughout my whole body, making it extremely uncomfortable and causing me to not sleep. I will often move from my bed to the recliner in the lounge or lounge chair on the back deck outside, trying to find a comfortable position even to nap.

I can be absolutely exhausted, not being able to keep my eyes open, when pain shoots down my leg from my back, spasming and burning throughout the leg and back. This is the most uncomfortable and unrelenting pain I cant even explain, it's just not good at all :(

Of course, severe lack of sleep then affects me. I cannot function properly and I struggle to deal with the pain more, due to my body not being able to rest. Although I take medication to aide sleeping - Chlonazepam, which is a Neurocontin Valuim like tablet, on top of my Gabapentin tablet, often it does not help with the sleep, just sends me into a super floppy dozey state of awakeness, where I cannot walk, I just fall over. Medications are the trickiest thing with trying to manage this disease!!! While I react to a lot of medications, trying to get it to a point of helping is hard. To get even 30% relief is good, but often its none. But I have nearly exhausted my list of options with medications, so far Gabapentin has the least amount of side effects, compared to others...so I'll continue to use it.

So even though I didn't sleep last night, sleeping from 8-11am during the morning, my body still hasn't had that proper rest!! So if I dont sleep tonight, look out hahaha :)

Kate xx


No comments:

Post a Comment